
Rwabugumi Accuses Rugonde of Blocking His Supporters Ahead of Rubabo NRM Re-Elections.
Rukungiri: Tensions are rising in Rubabo County, Rukungiri District, as Mathias Mwesigwa Rwabugumi accuses his opponent, Alex Bob Rugonde, of orchestrating attacks against his supporters to block them from campaigning ahead of the fresh elections.
The accusations come after two of Rwabugumi’s supporters were allegedly beaten last Wednesday in Bagarame trading centre, Rugarama cell. Victims Andrew Gumisiriza and Laban Taremwa, both residents of Nyarushanje, told our news reporter on August 28, that they were mobilizing support for Rwabugumi and putting up campaign posters when they were attacked by Rugonde’s supporters, identified only as Ramazan and Allan. They sustained injuries on the head, shoulders, arms, and back.
Onan Kyanyanga, Rwabugumi’s campaign agent and a resident of Rugarama cell, confirmed the incident, urging politicians to stop violence and embrace peaceful politics.
CUE IN…..VICTIMS…RR

Rwabugumi strongly condemned the attack, accusing Rugonde of sending goons to beat and intimidate his supporters in order to weaken his campaign. He stressed that since Rugonde was the one who petitioned the NRM Tribunal, he should respect its decision for fresh elections instead of resorting to violence.
CUE IN…..RWABUGUMI…RR
Efforts to get a comment from Rugonde were unsuccessful, as his known phone numbers were unreachable by press time.
The NRM Electoral Tribunal, in a ruling dated August 22, 2025 and signed by panel head Elton Mugabi, nullified Rwabugumi’s earlier victory and ordered fresh elections at six polling stations: Nyakiju, Rugarama, Rusharara, Rweere, Rwenkuriju, and Nyambambo. The tribunal said the official declaration of the Rubabo County flag bearer will only be made after results from these stations are tallied.
This followed Rugonde’s petition challenging the July 17, 2025 party primaries. Rwabugumi had been declared winner with 10,264 votes (23.7%), narrowly beating Rugonde who secured 9,704 votes (22.4%). Rugonde alleged that some of his stronghold polling stations were excluded from the final tally. The controversy also led to the arrest of Rukungiri District NRM Registrar Wright Mwongyera, who is facing charges of forgery and tampering with election results.
Fresh polls are expected before September 15, 2025 to resolve the dispute and declare the official NRM flag bearer for Rubabo County ahead of the general elections. Rwabugumi currently maintains a slim lead of about 560 votes.
Tags: Alex Bob Rugonde, Countryradio, Mathius Rwabugumi, NRM, Rukungiri, Uganda